Wednesday, April 05, 2006

A Walking Napkin

When I was in my 30's, I called it the wiping decade, becase I was always wiping something: tears, bottoms, runny noses, countertops. I felt like a walking napkin. - Stasi Eldredge

I can relate to this right now. Last week my two year old came down with a stomach virus. You don't want to know the details, trust me, but there was a lot of wiping going on. Poor thing.

That storm is quickly behind us, but he has discovered a new phrase, "I cyin", which translated means, "I'm crying." At some point last week, Ian became frustrated when he did not get his own way. And so he was crying... or fussing, as I call it at those times. I didn't know exactly what the problem was so I kept saying, "what's wrong?" and he responded with this brand new phrase... "I cyin". "Your car?" "Your crayon?" It took a few minutes for me to figure out that the poor sad boy was saying "I'm crying". And he was saying it in such a way that I could tell he thought I should do something to make it stop. So there were tissues and hugs and kisses and all was right with the world. The magic of a walking napkin! :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

HEATHER! Awesome blog! I love this. Great title, great format, great thoughts from a super mom. I'm bookmarking your site and will be checking in regularly...so you better update it, woman!!!

I too love scrapbooking (viewing your profile hobbies, etc...)and have been thinking about Katie's book lately (or lack there of) I feel so bad/guilty about it. Will has one started that goes through his 1st year of life. Hopefully by the time my kids leave home, there will be more in their scrapbooks than what's there now... It's just so hard to find time to get stuff like that done these days...

Of course, as a fellow walking napkin, there are more pressing issues at hand than scrapbooks, etc...life comes at you fast. In my case it's in the form of 2 kids under 2!

Grace Whisperer said...

Angie, I am in the same scrapbooking boat with you! I can't even say that I have Ian's first year done... Talk about frustrating! Fortunately, I recently found a couple of all day scrapping groups that take place once a month, so I'm hoping to catch up soon.

Thanks for your comments. You are encouraging me to be more faithful to my blog. :)