Friday, August 17, 2007

Persuasive words?

I've been reading thru First Corinthians recently in my devotions. Last night I asked the Lord to really help me to see it anew and to give me some nuggets that I can pass on to my son, my husband and my friends. So as I looked into Chapter 2, and reread the previous night's verses, I was suddenly struck by Paul's words.

I always find it curious that Paul says that he


....did not come with superiority of speech or of wisdom, proclaiming to you the testimony of God.
2 For I determined to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ, and Him crucified.
3 I was with you in weakness and in fear and in much trembling,
4 and my message and my preaching were not in persuasive words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power,
5 so that your faith would not rest on the wisdom of men, but on the power of God.


Is it just me, or is it really hard to imagine Paul this way? Weakness? Fear? And what about this: "...not in persuasive words of wisdom..." Paul, surely you jest!! When I read his letters, I am often struck by the depth and the wisdom of his writings. So hard to imagine that he took another route with the Corinthians. But I digress!

Verses 4 and 5 were what popped out to me last night. As a mom, I have always been concerned about whether or not I've been imparting spiritual truths and values to my son in a way that he understands. There have been days when I was sure he wasn't "getting it", which made me try to explain, explain, explain things to him. On these days Little Man says, "Mom, it's taking to long!" or he tunes me out... Yes! He tunes ME out! Hard to believe, huh?

And so last night I sensed the Lord speaking to me and encouraging me not to overly rely on "persuasive words of wisdom" with my kids, but rather in DEMONSTRATION of the Spirit and power of God! Why? So that their faith would rest in the power of God when they mature, and not on my words, or even my own faith. They need to see the power of God for themselves. They need to see God answering prayers, providing for us, comforting us, changing our hearts for themselves.

Paul goes on to say in the next verse that "we do speak wisdom among those who are mature" so certainly there is a place for that. But for a 3 year old boy, words are not that impressive. It's the action. It's the demonstration. It's the day to day living out of the gospel that will matter in the long run.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Those are wonderful thoughts. I am also often tempted to try to persuade people, when really they just need to see the power of God working in me. More personal reflection and focus on him would probable go much farther than all the words I could say.

Our preacher has been doing a series on 1st Corinthians and he has had some really powerful sermons. You can listen to them online at www.clearlakechurch.com The one from August 19th is my favorite so far.

Amanda said...

Thanks for praying for me! Life has been much busier lately and I hadn't looked at your blog in awhile either. Maybe we can be better about checking in on each other. :)