Sunday, January 18, 2009

The Homeschooling Experiment

Last Fall I began what I am affectionately calling "our homeschooling experiment". I've loved the idea of homeschooling for years! Long before I had children. Long before I had a husband or a boyfriend or even a degree. I'm talking a long time, people. :) What really piqued my interest initially was the children that were homeschooled. These kids were intelligent. They were eloquent. They weren't half as annoying as most kids I encountered. LOL. And they had actual interests that they pursued with passion.... And they had great relationships with their parents.

What's not to love? In many ways it seems like the best of all worlds. And it can be quite rewarding. But make no mistake... it's a sacrifice on many levels as well. Most worthwhile things in life do require a sacrifice. Maybe that's what makes them sweeter in the end.... Don't know. Just thinking out loud.

So this year we began the experiment. Ian just missed the cutoff for kindergarten, but was ready to learn. He wants to learn to read. He has a great interest in letters and he loves all manner of arts and crafts. Most recently, he's fascinated by what the body is made of. I felt lead to capitalize on this interest and to see if I could pull off homeschooling for a year. If so, perhaps the experiment will continue.

So that's a big part of why I haven't been blogging much this Fall. I really felt like I needed to focus on "The Experiment". In retrospect, I wish I had started a new blog about "The Experiment". Maybe I still will. I'll keep ya posted. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You go girl...not this momma! :)

Grace Whisperer said...

Well, it's not for everyone. I'm not even sure it's for me... That's why it's "an experiment". :)