Monday, January 26, 2009

Quiet Time for kids

Today I'm really excited... well, giddy almost. :) I finally got my hands on Word of Life's "Gopher Buddies Quiet Tiime", a devotional aimed at children 4-6. I had heard about it, here and there, but was never able to actually lay my eyes on it. So a couple of weeks ago, I finally asked at my local Christian bookstore about it. The next time they ordered it they held onto a copy for me to look at. Today was the day that I finally held it in my hands and paged through it. Definitely worth the wait!!

After dinner, while still at the table, I started telling my soon-to-be 5 year old son about it, and he HAD TO SEE IT himself.... Oh yes, and then he HAD TO get his hands on it! (So like his mom, this one!) And he HAD TO "DO IT" IMMEDIATELY!! Can't get much better of a testimonial than that, I'd say. The graphics are awesome. Each devotional page has an activity, like a coloring and activity book, that ties into the verse and "lesson". It's quick. It's easy. And we both love it.

Today's lesson consisted of

  • a reading from Psalm 59:2: "I will praise you forever for what you have done; in your name I will hope, for your name is good. I will praise you in the presence of your saints."
  • a key idea: "David makes a promise in this Psalm to praise God forever for what he had done."
  • a coloring activity, during which Ian was directed to sing a song of praise and thank God for something special that He's done.
  • a prayer suggestion.
The front of the spiral bound book also has several pages that have blocked out space for kids to "draw pictures or write words" to remind them of special people or things they want to pray for. As soon as Ian finished his activity section, he flipped to the prayer pages and drew pictures of three of his friends from school last year.

So I'm hoping to work this in to our homeschooling day. :)

Oh yeah, and did I mention that I bought a Word of Life Quiet Time Diary for me too? I did! But I bought the adult one, even though I jealously regard Ian's. :) I have other devotionals and Study guides, but I love the Word of Life Quiet Time. I used it for years and I miss not having it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thaanks for the suggestions! :)

The Amusing Redhead said...

I always want to order these but it is so pricey to order 4 plus one for me! I love that everyone is studying the same topic on their own level so you can really discuss.

PS~ I have LHTH, I don't think I will be using it next year if you would like to borrow it.

Grace Whisperer said...

Thanks, Kariann! I actually found a copy at a decent price on ebay last year. I haven't used it yet. Trying to figure out how to integrate that next year with the Sonlight materials. I also got Boz's Big book of bible fun at Christmas time for Shane (mostly)... Lots of activities and devotional ideas... If I can just get organized enough to USE it... Hopefully after we move I will miraculously become more organized! :)

FYI - Since our church has WOL clubs, the kids in 1st grade on up use the WOL quiet times. Last year we had to pay $15 to sign them up, and the QT was included in the price... This year we didn't have to pay, and the QT book was optional for Ian & Shane, but I think free if we wanted it.