Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Plagued by Whining?

The problem with 3 year olds is that they whine. Some days they whine A LOT! Some days they whine to get out of things. Some days they whine for no reason at all. So when one of them whines at breakfast and tells you that his arm hurts and his leg hurts, you take a look, give it a smooch and then tell him it will feel better when he eats something. Then at lunch, when he whines that his eyes hurt, you kind of roll your eyes privately and then tell him to eat his lunch.

Okay, that was my "full of compassion" mothering moment for the day. Turns out though his eyes really were bothering him. They were red and stingy, so I figured he had rubbed them with his fingers. Dutifully, we washed them. We rinsed them several times over the coarse of an hour. Then we sent the Little Man to preschool with instruction to tell his teacher to call me if he wanted to come home.

They didn't call. He didn't want to come home. Now don't get me wrong. I think it's great that he loves school so much, but when Daddy picked him up, the child looked like he had the plague! All around his eyes and lips, the skin was RED! By the time we got him home and into the bath/shower, we realized he had a fever as well.

So there you have it! First illness of the year! Yay. :P As you may imagine, I am feeling like a "bad" mom today. For not believing the boy in the morning, for not believing the boy at lunch, and for sending him to school (against my better judgment) to infect the whole class. Go Mom!

2 comments:

HoodMama said...

Thanks for your comment! I have TOTALLY done this. I think we should just attribute it to our positive attitudes and always looking at the glass half full. Right? :)

Grace Whisperer said...

LOL! Yes, sounds good to me! :)