Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Potty Training

It is with some measure of anxiety and intrepidation that I have been thinking about potty training my dear unsuspecting boy. Actually, I have been thinking about it since we bought his potty seat in December, but I allowed myself to be "convinced" by more experienced moms that it was really too soon to start for one reason or another. When the morning sickness and exhaustion hit in March, I decided to wait till I was in my second trimester and had a little more life in me.

But now, the dear boy is not as compliant as he was about 6 months ago, so I'm wondering... Did I wait too long? I'm anticipating a battle, but I think I can use his loathing of all types of stickiness to my advantage!! (Even while this child is eating french fries, he is fussing about his fingers being "sticky" at every bite.)

I've had it in my head that I would begin this craziness in June, since the weather was warmer and since we didn't have much travel planned for that month. He is about 28 months now, and is talking up a storm and is much more aware of his body processes. So today I picked up three books on potty training from the library. The one I'm reading first is called "Toilet training in less than a day". I mean, if that was possible, why futz around with the other two books? I can't say I hold out much hope for this method, but I give the authors credit for their optimism. According to them, in their studies this method worked within 2 1/2 HOURS for children over 26 months!! Whaaa-aat?!! Anyone out there think this is realistic?

Personally, I had considered switching to cloth diapers for this phase, initially and then move quickly to cloth trainers. We've already tried the Pull-ups that are supposed to help the child learn when he was wet. These things just don't work. So I'm thinking the way to go, until my books tell me otherwise, is the "shock and awe method" of switching to cloth one day and letting the boy get the feel for what we're trying to accomplish. :)

I have also recently read of a product called "PODS discreet strips" which can supposedly be attached like a mini-pad in a child's underpants to absorb and neutralize accidents. They also give a cool wet sensation to the child. The claim is that the child is potty-trained by the time you get to the end of the box... Sounds nice, doesn't it?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

i've heard from a few moms that letting the child go around in no pants, diapers or anything but a long t-shirt for a couple days helps them get the whole potty training deal. the clean up mess would freak me out! but don't take my word for it...the thought of potty training my son scares me *&%#less! (no pun intended)

Grace Whisperer said...

Yeah, Angie, I've heard that too, but it makes me a bit squeamish. My sister used this method, but she had wood or linoleum floors. We have carpet, and I'm not sure Ian would be as conscientious as my niece. :) (Liked the unintended pun!)